The Project Support and Administration Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden invites applications for a Legal Officer position.
Description of directorate/division
The Project Support and Administration Directorate is responsible for providing cross-cutting services to meet requirements to deliver the project and support the day-to-day operations of the organisation. This includes oversight of the legal network within ESS. This position reports into the Deputy Director of Project Support and Administration and currently provides support primarily to the In-Kind group. In-Kind is a contribution of labor or material from partner institutions in ESS member countries. The In-Kind group is responsible for managing the In-Kind process within the organisation, with partners and towards governance.
Description of main responsibilities
You will advise and support all the organisation’s departments in a variety of legal issues with primary support to the In-Kind group and supporting the development and management of agreements with In-Kind partners at a critical stage in the ESS project. The position requires significant cross-functional interaction with internal and external stakeholders, at the management, administrative and technical / scientific levels.
The position includes:
• Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a range of legal documents, with the main focus on In-Kind agreements.
• Identifying gaps and providing legal support on a range of matters.
• Providing advice on corporate governance, legal strategy and related matters.
• Involvement in drafting of new policies for the organisation in various areas.
• Ensure compliance with applicable laws.
• 3-8 years of practical legal experience (e.g. law firm with client contact and/or prior in-house experience);
• Strong academic background and demonstrated record of accomplishment and achievements;
• Superior contract drafting, reviewing and negotiation skills in English;
• Demonstrated experience in contracts management;
• Knowledge of legal compliance involving general business law;
• Experience and knowledge in one or more of the following areas is considered a plus: value added tax law, intellectual property law, data protection, R&D collaboration with universities and/or research facilities;
• Demonstrated problem-solving and communication skills;
• Experience of working in an international environment is important;
• Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite.
To be successful and perform well in this position we believe you are a team player with strong organisational skills and excellent interpersonal skills. You have the ability to act independently and collaboratively in a collegial fast-paced high-energy environment.
Our work environment is characterised by fast growth, high rate of work, and an international atmosphere with highly academic personnel. You must therefore enjoy the diversity of such and have a personality suited for the challenges it holds. In this growing organisation you will have the possibility to take part in developing new routines and processes. Our work environment is exciting and forward thinking and relies heavily on personal initiative.
What ESS can offer
ESS can offer you a variety of things, such as passionate colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging and high paced work environment where our employees take great pride in designing and building a world leading facility for materials research.
If you were to join ESS, you would become an important piece of the puzzle, since all our skilled staff are needed in order to fulfill the overall mission. We value and need expertise, innovative minds, great ways of leading and interacting with others, and the ability to work with people regardless of culture and background.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden. The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website or ESS intranet. Internal candidates are encouraged to apply through the intranet.
The deadline for applications is August 31st 2018
Please note that applications will be screened and acted on continously, so please submit your application as soon as possible.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process in general, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer Lanre Odunlami Lanre.Odunlami@esss.se
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Michela Dell'Anno Boulton at +46 46 888 30 72 or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua +46 46 888 32 28.
We look forward to receiving your application!